Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A longer post. . . sorry! - I usually try to keep them short!

What do the following have in common?











If you guessed that these are all the things that have been stolen from our house since we started building it, then you are right. I hesitate to put this on here for two reasons, one being that I don't want people to think that I want them to feel sorry for me and the second one is that I don't want people to judge us and call us idiots behind our back because this happened over a few break-ins.
In fact, once all of our windows and doors were put in we thought that we could leave some tools (the generator, the tile saw, the drill), but boy were we wrong. The first break-in occurance happened a couple months ago (this does not include the wire theft where they did not have to technically break in). We obviously learned that we could not leave the power tools there, but little did we know that the people who had robbed us would be back for anything. The second time they took a first aid kit and my MP3 player that I accidentally left on the counter there. I guess I kind of figured that they had left the extension cords and stuff the last two times (my mistake) and that they did not really want it, but no more than two or three days later they came back for some broken (they did not know this) work lights, a beat up shop vac and our extension cords. We realized that they were popping our master bedroom window open each time to get in so Richard cut up some boards to stick in every single window. We hoped this would keep them out for about one more week until we would be getting carpet and then we would start sleeping there. (Just for reference, our appliances had been in our garage the whole time and we probably should have moved them, but we really did not have a good place to store them). We went back to work on the house on Saturday morning, and the last time we had been there before that was late Thursday afternoon, and we discovered that our garage door was wide open and our appliances were all gone. I am not going to lie, I bawled like a baby and I felt like this house was too much and I did not know how I was going to be able to finish. It was one of the hardest things I have been through in my life - I do realize I am blessed if this is one of my hardest trials, but it still was very devastating.


The real reason I wanted to share this was because I just wanted to share a little bit of the positive experience that came with this trial. Like I said, Saturday was very hard for me, but I had one of the most spiritual experiences of my life and although I feel like parts are too personal to post online, I can say that I felt the love of my Savior and my Heavenly Father more strongly than I think I have ever felt it! I felt so comforted! I know that Heavenly Father knows of me and that he loves me so much. I know of the power of the priesthood and that priesthood blessings come from the Lord. Richard was able to receive the most wonderful, comforting blessing from his dad and I was able to receive an amazing blessing from Richard. This reminded me how blessed I am to have such a wonderful husband who honors his priesthood and to have two beautiful, healthy children. I was also reminded of how blessed Richard and I are to have wonderful parents and siblings and other family members and we also have the most amazing friends (even though I consider them family). People were not hesitating to offer help (babysitting our kids so we could get some relaxing time, letting us live in their trailor in front of our house, letting us use their house nearby whenever we want to shower, sleep, do laundry, etc. since we don't have electricity or water yet) and to pray on our behalf and I can testify that the prayers help so much and I could feel the strength from those prayers and I am still continuing to feel the strength. Like I said before, I know that my trials are nothing like a lot of people are going through (and I am very grateful for that), but I do know that my Savior loves me and I love him and as I was so upset by everything I was reminded that Jesus Christ knew exactly what I was feeling and that gave me great comfort. I am so grateful for this Christmas season when we can really reflect on our Savior, Jesus Christ and on all of the wonderful sacrifices he has made on our behalfs.


Sorry again for the length of this post and if you did not read it all I completely understand, but if you did thank you!

15 comments:

onehm said...

That is JUST AWFUL! Melissa, I know you have been worrying about your appliances! I'm so sorry! I hope that things continue to get better and that you will be able to continue to see the silver lining in all this.
(((HUGS)))

Staci said...

WOW Melissa! I'm SOOOO sorry! That is terrible that someone keeps stealing things from your house. That is just so sad.

You are amazing to pull some positivity out of it all & that is wonderful to hear that you were able to have a spiritual experience through it all. It doesn't make your things come back, but what a blessing to have the comfort of our Heavenly Father!

Good luck with the rest of the building & hopefully the thieves will finally leave you alone!

*Amy * said...

Oh wow. I am so sorry about this! You know what they say about karma though... hopefully those people get their due someday. That is really horrible.
You are so good to be able to see your blessings through all of this. Getting stuff stolen and damaged is really horrible to go through. I know, I've been there. Keep your head up and I hope things work out for you guys.

Nikki Owens said...

Melissa sorry to hear about that. i know that its hard to hear that bad things happen to good people. You are an amazing person and i love talking to you and catching up when i see you, you always have a positive attitude about things. please let me know if you need anything.

Jason and Elizabeth said...

Oh my gosh Melissa!! that sucks so bad!! I loved your post and I felt the spirit while reading it. I am sorry we did not get to talk the other day. I will try to call you again tomorrow and I am so sorry! I love you guys so much and I hope that everything will go smoothly from here on out.

Lucia said...

Melissa, you are just one strong woman with a lot of faith. I have a lot to learn from you.

Richard and Tiffany said...

Wow thanks for posting that Melissa. We love you so much and I admire you SO much for the way you handle everything. Not just the house, but everything. You are just so genuinely happy and confident, and you just radiate to others and inspire them, especially me! I'm so glad we're sisters and I'm excited to be living close to you now!!

~Merrill ~Millennial Preschool said...

ahhhhh!!! My mom told me! I am so sorry. You can come do laundry at my house. You are an incredible woman, with a beautiful family. Come visit and bring your laundry. (I'll do it even!)

Misi said...

Wow is all I can say. I love you and will do what ever I can for you. See you soon and all the Good Luck to you all from this day forth.

Andrea Hale said...

Our family is honestly the best! We are so blessed that our in laws taught their sons (and daughters) correct principles and that they helped them gain a testimony of our Savior from a young age. Richard and Chris would not be the men they are if it wasn't for Dad and Mom. Thank you for sharing that special experience with me the other night!
You are being very strong right now.... no matter how little the trial may seem to others. I don't know if I would be as strong and patient as you have been, so thank you for your example! We love you guys!

Chet, Shelly and the 3 little peas in our pod said...

Melissa! It was GREAT running into you the other day-it totally made my day! I'm going to track down those punks and head butt them for stealing your stuff. Anyway, cute fam! check us out-and let's get together soon!

Carrie Rice said...

I saw your mom on Sunday, she told me about everything. I havn't been blogging much lately. I am totally sad for you guys. (You must recall my comment the last time you were robbed and posted it...something about shooting the perp) It must be so frustrating. Thanks for sharing the positive perspective of the situation. Certainly the priesthood is an amazing aspect of our gospel. You are awesome...and a total babe, wow, those pics of your family are amazing!! Love you.

Kami Milliron said...

I would LOVE to get together, anytime you want to. We are living at my Mom's right now, just until we find something in our price range. So come on over, I am usually always home. Also, a few of my good Friends and I are meeting for a play date with our kids. You should come. Email me if you're interested and I will give you the directions. We are meeting this Thursday at noon.

( kamillemilliron@gmail.com )

Rasmussen Family said...

Melissa
I hope you guys are enjoying your new house and that things are going better. We miss Arwen in Primary.

We are getting ready to redo our showers and need a plumber. Is Richard available to put in fixutres on 2 bathroom showers? Email me and let me know

Jody
rasdog25@yahoo.com

britney said...

I cant believe people can do such horrible things... and that they kept coming back to steal stuff. Im sorry. I would have been sick to death. I got mad when someone stole my lunch from the fridge at work - so i dont know how you handled it. I love ya and hope everything else goes good for you guys. You will get thru! And if you ever need a sitter - let me know! I love kids!